2011 Management Plan
Olympic Coast National Marine Sanctuary, working in conjunction with its
Advisory Council (AC), the
Olympic Coast Intergovernmental Policy Council (IPC)
and the public, recently completed a three-year review of its management plan.
The 2011 OCNMS Management Plan,
completed in September 2011 is a comprehensive document that addresses all aspects of sanctuary
management. The 2011 OCNMS Management Plan directs the sanctuary's work for the next five to ten
years. For more information on the management plan review process, see our
management plan review-archive page.
The 2011 Management Plan includes
- a revised set of goals and objectives for OCNMS
- a suite of 20 action plans that direct OCNMS’s on the ground work
- several revisions to the OCNMS regulations
- a suite of performance measures to assist OCNMS in assessing its progress in implementing the management plan and achieving OCNMS’s goals and objectives
- a comprehensive Environmental Assessment of all the actions proposed in the management plan
The 20 action plans in the 2011 Management Plan are grouped under five priorities:
- Achieve Collaborative and Coordinated Management
- Conduct Collaborative Research, Assessments and Monitoring to Inform Ecosystem-Based Management
- Improve Ocean Literacy
- Conserve Natural Resources in the Sanctuary
- Understand the Sanctuary’s Cultural, Historical and Socioeconomic Significance
The action plans are composed of strategies and activities. There are more strategies in the
2011 Management Plan than can likely be achieved over the next five to ten years. An Implementation
Table has been included in the Management Plan to convey which strategies are the highest priority
for implementation under current and future budget scenarios.
Each year, OCNMS will report to its AC, the IPC and the public on its progress in
implementing the management plan.
The 2011 OCNMS Management Plan is available to
The document can be downloaded as a single document or chapter by chapter. A limited number of
printed copies are available by request. They will also be available through the North Olympic
To request a printed copy of the management plan or an electronic copy on CD, please email
or call 360.457.6622 x10.
The 2011 OCNMS Management Plan is the guiding document for the entire sanctuary and all of its programs.
Download the entire
2011 OCNMS Management Plan
document here (7.7Mb pdf)
- or -
Download individual sections below.
EXECUTIVE SUMMARY (424k pdf)
Contact for page content: Liam Antrim
- INTRODUCTION (688k pdf)
- TREATY TRUST RESPONSIBILITY (544k pdf)
- PURPOSE AND NEED FOR REVISING THE MANAGEMENT PLAN AND REGULATIONS (328k pdf)
- MANAGEMENT PLAN REVIEW PROCESS (564k pdf)
- FINAL MANAGEMENT PLAN
(complete chapter or by priority topic) (1.7Mb pdf)
- AFFECTED ENVIRONMENT (1.7Mb pdf)
- DESCRIPTION OF ALTERNATIVES (564k pdf)
- ENVIRONMENTAL CONSEQUENCES OF ALTERNATIVES (1.3Mb pdf)
- PERSONS AND AGENCIES CONTACTED (332k pdf)
- REFERENCES (404k pdf)